Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chickens

Sometimes it would be nice to have the kind of blog where your posts start out with phrases like "if you ever find yourself in the south of France, be certain to visit the chateau la durantie. . ." instead of "If you're buying crickets for your chickens, get them cheaper at the bait shop instead of the pet store. . ."

This weekend I learned a bag of crickets is a Happy Meal for chickens because Mr. Bromeliad's parents in South Carolina have three hens. Also that chickens can run seven miles an hour, which is the approximate speed at which they lunged for the cricket sack.

Chickens are way better than Chihuahuas. They also are, believe it or not, a bit hip and trendy. For more info on urban chickens, see Simplified Bee.

p.s. btw, the word "cricket" is French for little creaker. And you thought we had no class.

9 comments:

1. Caroline @ The Feminist HousewifeNovember 10, 2010 at 1:32 PM

lol...this cracked me up!

I've been wanting to get some chickens! One day...

ReplyDelete
  2. chelsea lee aka spicklebeeNovember 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I have been wanting urban chickens for quite some time now. thinking that as renters whose landlord lives behind us its probably not gonna fly. those are sure some cute chickens your in-laws have though!!

ReplyDelete
  3. Tonia of Chic Modern VintageNovember 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM

My uncle has a few hens, The brown eggs are great for baking.

ReplyDelete
  4. shari @ little blue deerNovember 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM

And French chickens say "Coco Rico" instead of "Cockadoodle doo." At least according to David Sedaris. One of my jobs a long time ago I had to buy crickets on an almost daily basis. Don't ask. And yes, urban chickens are chic.

ReplyDelete
  5. christine {bijouandboheme}November 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM

This was too funny- thanks for making me laugh first thing in the morning xo

ReplyDelete
  6. I just want the fresh eggs.

I did not know they could run 7 miles an hour. I would take a chicken over a chihuahua any day!

ReplyDelete
  7. your egg photo is awesome. I just aborted egg photos this morning. Inspired to try again.

ReplyDelete
  8. Victoria - Shift the SceneNovember 14, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I enjoyed your opening line. Gave me a good chuckle. And when you closed again mentioning France, I just had to comment about one of my most favorite bloggers. Him and his wife are expats from Great Britain who bought a gite in the South of France, and he's a photographer! So if you enjoy posts about traveling in France along with great photos, then feel free to visit Brian at Life in the France Lane at http://www.blog.french-holidays-aude.com/. I know I've really enjoyed following his blog.

ReplyDelete
  9. The English OrganizerNovember 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM

7 miles an hour? I can manage 6, on a good day. I guess that means I'd better not pick a fight with a chicken :)

ReplyDelete